Frequently Asked Questions

Below are a list of useful FAQ’s. However if you have a more specific question, please contact us directly.

  • What does the Wales Touch Public Liability insurance cover?

    Wales Touch insurance will protect you and/or your club if you are deemed negligent in injuring another person or causing damage to another person’s property. Cover applies during training, official competitions and Touch related events approved by Wales Touch. This includes during official social events authorised and recognised by Wales Touch.

    The insurance also covers Professional Indemnity for coaches & referees in their professional capacity worldwide.

  • Who provides Wales Touch Associations insurance cover?

    The Insurance programme is placed by Sports Insure who are Wales Touch Associations Insurance Broker.

    The Liability insurance is provided by Sportscover Europe Limited and The Personal Accident benefits are provided by Aviva.

    If you would like to discuss the insurance you receive via your membership to the ETA, please contact Sports Insure.

  • Does my club require Employers Liability insurance?

    If your club employs the services of others it is a statutory requirement for you to purchase Employers Liability Insurance. This is automatically provided as part of your affiliation with the Wales Touch Association. The cover provides a £10M Limit of Indemnity.

    Please note volunteers should be treated in the same way as paid employees as the law does not restrict the definition of employees to those who receive payment for their services.

  • What information do I need to record when an accident occurs?

    We would recommend that a designated person within your club is made responsible to record any reportable accident/incident. Records must be kept for at least 6 years, and longer where it involves a person under the age of 18 years in line with GDPR guidelines. Names and addresses of any possible witnesses should also be recorded. Please ensure your club has an accident book to record all such information.

    In respect of Safeguarding allegations records should be kept indefinitely.

  • Is there a time limit to make a Liability claim?

    There is a statues of limitations for an injured party has to bring a claim for injury against you. Usually 3 years or if they are a child up to 3 years from their 18th birthday. This however can be reviewed by the courts dependant on the circumstances. It is imperative however that you notify any circumstance which may give rise to a claim as soon as you are aware of it.

  • Am I covered to coach on a freelance basis?

    Yes. You are insured to coach within a club environment, on behalf of WTA or on a freelance basis. However all coaching must strictly fall within the remit and guidelines of the WTA and any qualification you hold.

  • What is the difference between Public Liability and Personal Accident cover?

    Public Liability Insurance covers the cost of legal action and compensation for claims made against you or your group or its committee members if a third party is injured or their property suffers damage whilst at your premises.

    Personal Accident cover provides a set financial payment in the event of an accidental injury, such as death, permanent disability, physiotherapy, dental expenses, etc.

  • Are we required to complete risk assessments for all activities?

    Yes. It is essential that you undertake risk assessments for the activities of your group to support you in your risk management. You and your group owe a duty of care to those around you.

    If an allegation for negligence is made against you or your group the risk assessments will be needed to evidence what you have reasonably been able to do to prevent an incident occurring.