Frequently asked questions

Below you will find a comprehensive list of Frequently Asked Questions. If you cannot find the answer to your question, please contact Sports Insure.

  • Who Provides BKA Insurance Cover?

    The liability insurance is arranged by Axa XL, a trading division of Axa who are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK. Registered address: 20 Gracechurch Street, London, EC3V 0BG

    The Personal Accident insurance is arranged by Aviva who are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK. Registered address: Pitheavlis, Perth PH2 0NH.

  • Is there a Policy Excess?
    • Employers Liability – Nil
    • Public Liability – Nil
    • Professional Indemnity – Nil
    • Directors & Officers – £250
    • Abuse – £Nil
    Personal Accident

    There are not policy excesses applicable to the Personal Accident cover.

  • What Limits of Indemnity are in place?
    • Employers Liability £10,000,000 any one event
    • Public & Products Liability £10,000,000 any one event (any one period for Products/Pollution)
    • Professional Indemnity £10,000,000 in the aggregate
    • Directors & Officers £5,000,000 in the aggregate
    • Abuse cover £1,000,000 any one occurrence and in the aggregate
  • What disciplines are covered under the policy?

    Kendo, Iaido, Naginata & Jodo are all covered under the policy,

  • Are Member to Member (participant to participant) claims covered?

    No. As is the case with many contact sports, insurers exclude any claims arising from one member trying to sue another member for alleged negligence.

  • Are BKA sponsored events covered under the policy?

    All activities that are controlled, sponsored, recognised/authorised by the British Kendo Association are covered.

  • Am I covered if I sustain an injury during training?

    You are covered whilst playing, practicing, training & coaching in the sport/ disciplines of Kendo, Iaido, Naginata & Jodo, including traveling to or from any such activity.

  • Are there any age limits for the insurance?

    Under the liability insurance there are no age restrictions. You must however adhere to any age restrictions set by the BKA if applicable.

    Personal Accident

    The upper age limit for Personal Accident cover is 80 years.

  • What information do I need to record when an accident occurs?

    We would recommend that a designated person within your group or a coach is made responsible to record any reportable accident/incident. Records must be kept for at least 6 years, and longer where it involves a person under the age of 18 years. Names and addresses of any possible witnesses should also be recorded. Please ensure your club has an accident book to record all such information.

    In respect of Safeguarding allegations, records should be kept indefinitely.

  • Are we required to complete risk assessments for all activities?

    Yes. It is essential that you undertake risk assessments for the activities of your group to support you in your risk management. You and your group owe a duty of care to those around you.

    If an allegation for negligence is made against you or your group the risk assessments will be needed to evidence what you have reasonably been able to do to prevent an incident occurring.

  • If I am injured how do I claim?

    You will find contact details here.

  • Are weekly benefits included under the Personal Accient cover?

    No. The Personal Accident insurance provides capital benefits only. There isn’t any weekly benefit or loss of income provided. To review a full list of the Personal Accident benefits, click here.

  • Does my club require Employers Liability?

    If your club employs the services of others it is a statutory requirement for you to purchase Employers Liability Insurance. This cover is automatically provided with a £10m Limit of Indemnity.

    Please note volunteers should be treated in the same way as paid employees as the law does not restrict the definition of employees to those who receive payment for their services.

  • Where can I find a copy of my BKA insurance certificate?

    Please click the relevant link below, for the correct certificate.

    For Clubs

    For Individual Members & Instructors