British Softball Federation – Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find a comprehensive list of Frequently Asked Questions. If you cannot find the answer to your question, please contact Sports Insure.
- What does the insurance provided as part of my affiliation to BSF cover?
BSF insurance will protect you and/or your team / club if you are deemed negligent in injuring another person or causing damage to another person’s property.
The insurance also covers Professional Indemnity for coaches, umpires & officials in their professional capacity, cover is provided on a worldwide basis.
Clubs and teams also benefit from Directors & Officers Liability Insurance for members acting in an official capacity on a committee.
- What is the difference between the Geographical and Territorial limits on the policy?
The geographical limits on the policy is where you are insured to participate in softball activities, cover is provided anywhere in the world. In layman terms, this means that you can train, participate and compete in recognised and approved BSF activity, worldwide.
The territorial/ jurisdictional limits on the policy is where an allegation can be made against you/ your club. In layman terms, this means the country in which a solicitor can be appointed, to try and sue you, if a third party feels you/ your team/ club are deemed negligent. The territorial/ jurisdictional limit on the policy is worldwide excluding claims made against you in the USA and Canada.
- I am travelling overseas, am I covered by the insurance?
The public liability cover is provided to you travelling anywhere in the world. This would cover claims for alleged third party injury, or third party property damage.
The public liability policy does not however, provide you with any travel insurance. Travel insurance would cover overseas emergency medical treatment, following an accident, repatriations costs, cancelled flights etc. Sports Insure have a specific sports travel scheme, which you can obtain a quotation from here.
- Are we required to complete risk assessments for team or club activity?
Risk management is key when defending a claim and will need to be evidenced in the event of an incident. As such it is imperative that you undertake a risk assessments for all activities.
- Our club/team is holding a social event. Are we covered?
Providing the activity does not require any specialist training, qualification, experience or equipment, that is not recognised by the BSF then social activity is covered involving affiliated players and members.
Examples of recognised social activities would include Award Dinners and BBQ’s. If you are unsure whether your social activity is recognised, please contact Natalie Wale at Sports Insure. Social Activities and associated entertainment involving non-members such as Birthday Parties are not covered.
- Are there any age limits on the policy?
There aren’t any age restrictions on the liability insurance that members benefit from as part of their affiliation. The age limit of 3 – 80 years apply to the Aviva Personal Accident cover.
We do stipulate however that participation in all activities are in accordance with the rules & guidelines of the BSF.
As such if there are any age restrictions imposed by the BSF these must be adhered to.
- Is there a policy excess to pay in the event of a claim?
No, neither the Personal Accident or Liability covers have an excess applied
- What Limits of Indemnity are in place?
Employers Liability: £10,000,000 any one occurrence restricted to £5,000,000 in respect of any one event arising directly or indirectly out of acts of Terrorism
Public Liability: £10,000,000 any one claim
Products Liability: £10,000,000 any one period
Professional Indemnity: £10,000,000 any one claim
Directors & Officers: £10,000,000 any one period
Abuse or molestation: £ 2,500,000 any one period
- Is damage to my own Property/ club/ team equipment covered?
Not under the BSF insurance policies, you can arrange to insure your team / club property and equipment by calling Natalie at Sports Insure on 07885 984374.
- Do I have Liability cover if I am taking part in a non-BSF Activity?
No you are only insured for BSF approved activity
- What Limits of Indemnity are in place?
- Employers Liability: £10,000,000 any one occurrence restricted to £5,000,000 in respect of any one event arising directly or indirectly out of acts of Terrorism
- Public Liability: £10,000,000 any one claim
- Products Liability: £10,000,000 any one period
- Professional Indemnity: £10,000,000 any one claim
- Directors & Officers: £10,000,000 any one period
- Abuse or molestation: £ 2,500,000 any one period